Since Europe is the size of a large Australian suburb, it will be too difficult to do 'Country Summaries' every couple of days as we cross borders. Since we are doing Europe as a road trip, I'm just going to to 'week-by-week' Dashboards, that will probably encompass a couple of countries at a time. Then an overall summary at the end.
As usual, follow along at:
Anyway, let's get into it:
Ep. 6: 5-11/8/23
Where We Went:
- Poland: Praga (Old Warsaw), Minsk Maz
- Lithuania: Kaunas
- Latvia: Riga
Driving distance in 'Monsieur Gustave H.', our lovely Renault Scenic:
- 789 km
- 57.3 km
Total = 846.3 km
Running Total of Eurotrip Mileage = 8,491.7 km
Total Expenses for the 7 Days: $2,125.98 AUD
Expense per day = $303.71 AUD/Day
Specific Transport Expenses Total: $913.04 AUD
I don't think I should make multiple bingo cards per week, so the running totals in Europe:
- France: 15 'Influencers', 1 'Karen', 2 'Americans'
- Belgium: 5 'Influencers', 1 'Khaki Queen'
- Netherlands: 4 'Influencers', 2 'Americans' and 1 'They're Not Gonna Make It'
- Luxembourg: 6 'Influencers'
- Germany: 3 'Influencers', 2 'Americans'
- Switzerland: 6 'Influencers'
- Liechtenstein: 1 'American'
- Poland: 2 'Influencers', 1 'Spiritual King'
An explanation of Travel Bingo is here.
- Poland/Warsaw: There are a few old movies about the Warsaw uprising in 1944 which I have to get around to.
- Honestly, I've got nothing for Lithuania and Latvia. I think they produce a weirdly disproportionate number of 'Strongman' competitors, but as for 'Media'....I dunno.
- Actually, I just remembered! 'It's Pronounced Nikolag'
Culinary Corner by a Non-Foodie:
- Polish service stations are weirdly good for snacks on a roadtrip.
- The servos called 'Orlen' have strangely good coffee from their machines.
- And they all will serve hotdogs. Really tasty hotdogs...
- In Warsaw, some nice modern Polish food can be found at 'LAS - Lokalna Atrakcja Stolicy'.
- Then again, I don't have much for Lithuania and Latvia.
Tips and Tricks:
- Road travel takes longer than expected in the Baltics. The roads are single lane each way, with endless roadworks.
- Kaunas is a quite and very pleasant little city in Lithuania. Don't spend more than a couple of days.
- And the same for Riga, it's the capital, yeah, but small and easily walkable.
- Nice little drive up the Baltics are leaving the Polskas around Warsaw.
- The roads are now the worst in Europe...
- It is a bit cheaper, thankfully.
Thanks for reading along.
The next weekly road trip update will come... next week.