Since Europe is the size of a large Australian suburb, it will be too difficult to do 'Country Summaries' every couple of days as we cross borders. Since we are doing Europe as a road trip, I'm just going to to 'week-by-week' Dashboards, that will probably encompass a couple of countries at a time. Then an overall summary at the end.
As usual, follow along at:
Anyway, let's get into it:
Ep. 4: 29/7 - 4/8/23
Where We Went:
- Germany: Berlin
- Poland: Warsaw, Mińsk Mazowiecki, Kraków, Zakopane, The Tatra Mountains, Wieliczka Salt Mine
Driving distance in 'Monsieur Gustave H.', our lovely Renault Scenic:
- 2,099 km
- 56.5 km
Total = 2,155.5 km
Running Total of Eurotrip Mileage = 7,645.4 km
Total Expenses for the 7 Days: $2,885.55 AUD
Expense per day = $412.22 AUD/Day
Specific Transport Expenses Total: $1,184.99 AUD
I don't think I should make multiple bingo cards per week, so the running totals in Europe:
- France: 15 'Influencers', 1 'Karen', 2 'Americans'
- Belgium: 5 'Influencers', 1 'Khaki Queen'
- Netherlands: 4 'Influencers', 2 'Americans' and 1 'They're Not Gonna Make It'
- Luxembourg: 6 'Influencers'
- Germany: 3 'Influencers', 2 'Americans'
- Switzerland: 6 'Influencers'
- Liechtenstein: 1 'American'
- Poland: 1 'Influencer'
An explanation of Travel Bingo is here.
- Germany/Berlin: 'The Man from UNCLE', 'Atomic Blonde', Then basically every movie set in the Second World War...
- Poland/Warsaw: There are a few old movies about the Warsaw uprising in 1944 which I have to get around to.
And once again, German Reggae:
- Peter Fox
Culinary Corner by a Non-Foodie:
- Polish service stations are weirdly good for snacks on a roadtrip.
- The servos called 'Orlen' have strangely good coffee from their machines.
- And they all will serve hotdogs. Really tasty hotdogs...
- In Warsaw, some nice modern Polish food can be found at 'LAS - Lokalna Atrakcja Stolicy'.
Tips and Tricks:
- In Berlin, you can use an app to book and organise your tickets for public transport: BVG Tickets
- An I think Europe-wide, there is an app that is good for hiking with all the trails: Mapy.cz
- Berlin is just full of history - every corner. No need for specific recommendations. Just walk.
- Public transport in Berlin is very accessible, and easier than parking in the centro.
- Walk along the river in Warsaw, lots of nice paths and more and more cafes and nice restaurants popping up in recent years, apparently.
- Kraków is a very well preserved old city and worth a look.
- And the Wieliczka Salt Mine is inredible.
- For those that like hiking - the Tartra mountains in the south on the Slovakian border are very nice, and easily accessible.
- Bit of a big driving week.
- Did some hiking in the mountains. And ate lots of Polish food.
- Less cyclists around here, so a bit less worrying.
Thanks for reading along.
The next weekly road trip update will come... next week.